A good Tiramisu recipe should never be underestimated. If you are looking for something alternative for Christmas dessert this year, Tiramisu ticks all the boxes, with chocolate, cream, coffee and alcohol!
We asked our Chefs at our Italian Restaurant, Olivo Cork, for the decadent Tiramisu recipe they love to share with you all. Print or screenshot to save!
CHRISTMAS TIRAMISU RECIPE
- 250 g quality dark chocolate (70%)
- 50 g butter , diced
- 175 g sponge fingers
- 350 ml good hot sweetened coffee
- vin santo/marsala or other sweet dessert wine
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 100 g caster sugar
- 750 g mascarpone
- 2 oranges
- a few fresh coffee beans , bashed up finely
- Place a glass bowl over a pan of simmering water – make sure the water doesn’t touch the bowl. Put 200g of the chocolate into the bowl, (keep the remaining 50g to the side).
- Add the diced butter and a pinch of salt. Leave for 5 minutes or so until melted and combined – stir every now and again.
- Line a large, deep bowl or dish with the sponge fingers and carefully pour over the hot sweetened coffee.
- Add a couple of dashes of vin santo to your melted chocolate (optional), stir it through, then drizzle over the sponge fingers.
- Carefully smooth out to the edges with a spatula so you have a nice even layer.
- Put to one side to cool.
- Separate the eggs, putting the whites into one bowl and the yolks into another. Add sugar to the yolks with another dash of vin santo, and whisk with an electric whisk on the highest setting for about 5 minutes, or by hand, until all the sugar has dissolved and the yolks are pale and fluffy. Mix in the mascarpone and the zest of 1 orange.
- Clean and dry your whisk, and whisk the whites with a pinch of salt until they form stiff peaks – they should be a similar consistency to the yolk and mascarpone mixture, and should hold their shape when you lift the beaters from the bowl.
- Add a spoonful of your whites to the yolk mixture using a large metal spoon, and gently fold them in, then fold through the rest of the whites. Spoon and smooth this creamy mixture on top of your chocolate layer.
- Scatter the finely bashed-up coffee beans over the top.
- Cut out paper stars and place them atop the dish
- Using a sharp knife or a speed peeler, carefully shave over your remaining chocolate. Finely grate over the zest from half your remaining orange.
- Remove the paper and pop the tiramisù in the fridge.
- Allow 2 hours to set
- Serve and enjoy.
CHRISTMAS AT OLIVO
Book dinner at Olivo for your family and friends in the run up to Christmas.
Delicious food. Great wine & spirits selection. Free parking.