The smell of hot cloves, citrus fruits, cinnamon, star anise, nutmeg, wine and Brandy can only mean one thing, Mulled Wine. The hot festive drink that is sure to pass many of our lips this festive season.
If you ever wanted to make it but were looking for a good recipe, well now is the time to try. Paul Murray, Food and Beverage Manager, in Olivo Restaurant in Cork Airport Hotel, has taken some time out of his very busy schedule to show us his secret Mulled Wine recipe. Well we guess the cats out of the bag now, sorry Paul.
Paul’s Festive Mulled Wine Recipe
SERVES: 12 (16 with Red Lemonade)
- 2 Lemons
- 2 Oranges + 1 Orange for Serving
- 2 Limes
- 2 Bottles of Red Wine
- 200ml Orange Juice
- 70ml Brandy
- 500ml Red Lemonade (Optional)*
- 100g Castor Sugar
- 6 Star Anise
- 2 Cinnamon Sticks
- Grated Nutmeg
* Red Lemonade is a great way to make your mulled wine to go further. The Lemonade is also great if you prefer a milder taste to your mulled wine.
- Cut your lemons, 2 oranges and limes in half. Insert Cloves into the inside of the fruit (see picture below). Once this is done add them to the saucepan.
- Add the liquids; the wine, the orange juice, the brandy and the optional red lemonade to the saucepan.
- Add the castor sugar and the spices, star anise, cinnamon sticks and grated nutmeg to the saucepan.
- Stir everything together, place on a medium heat and simmer gently for 10 minutes. It’s important that you do not boil it as it will burn away all the alcohol.
- While you wait, cut the remaining orange into slices and then quarters until you have enough quarters for each of the glasses you will be serving. Place some cloves in each of these. Then place one of your serving glasses.
- After the 10 minutes, strain the mulled wine with a sieve into the bowl or jug that you are serving from.
- When ready to serve, pour into the heat proof glass that you have already placed the orange in.
- Enjoy with friends and family.
CHRISTMAS AT OLIVO
Book dinner at Olivo for your family and friends in the run up to Christmas.
Delicious food. Great wine & spirits selection. Free parking.